- Selection Required: Select product options above before making new offer.
- Error: There was an error sending your offer, please try again. If this problem persists, please contact us.
1971 Franz Beckenbauer Game-Used #5 West Germany Shirt & Jacket.Go Back
Winning Bid: $2,000.00
Winning Bid: $2,000.00
Auction ends: 2019-01-19 23:40
Total price with Buyers Premium: $2,400.00
Bids count: 1
Add Max Bid
A Franz Beckenbauer Game-Used #5 West Germany Home Shirt & Jacket, dating to the September 8, 1971 FIFA International Friendly v. Mexico in Hannover, Germany. Beckenbauer captained Germany as they thrashed Mexico 5-0 on a Gerd Muller hat-trick in front of a crowd of 70,000. This lot includes: Beckenbauer’s shirt, pre-match jacket, original ticket stub & a German newspaper clipping of the match which has been hand-signed by Beckenbauer, Sepp Maier, Schwarzenbeck, Heynckes, Fichtel & Koppel in blue pen. Upon close inspection, you will come to find this lot in the following condition: The shirt is in superb condition for it’s age, while showing all the hallmarks of a garment from this era. There are some fine/small holes present, most notably to the end of one sleeve and near the collar. Light wear and fraying to the edges. Faded markings throughout. The fabric carries a soft feel from age. The garment does carry that distinguishable scent of a garment of age. Stitching appears solid throughout. Umbro label remains intact and visible. Some of the stitching around the inner neckline is slightly loose in areas, but remains in solid condition. The white fabric is not as crisp as it would have been 40+ years ago. Overall, a stunning example in superb condition with excellent signs of use. The jacket remains in very good condition for it’s age, with only normal aging to account for. No significant damage is evident to the jacket/track top.
Please take a moment to review the authentication notes provided, as well as the provided photographs:
1. Shirt manufactured by Umbro. Made in England. Label reads: “The Choice of Champions. Umbro International. All Cotton. Made in England.
2. No size label is evident. These garments were generally “one size men’s” and most closely represents a size Medium.
3. DFB Deutscher Fussball Bund crest stitched to chest in embroidered cloth.
4. Beckenbauer’s squad #5 stitched to back in black cloth.
5. Black ribbed trim to collar and sleeve ends.
6. Training jacket produced by Adidas/Schwahn. Germany’s kits during this time period were made by Umbro, however their training attire was arranged with Adidas. Tracksuits, training wear, etc were Adidas branded, while the on-field kits were produced by Umbro.
7. Jacket is marked as a size 4, however most closely resembles a size Medium. Jacket is cream with blue trim, which was an oddity with the German National Team during this time period. Adidas training wear was often blue in color despite the National Team’s colors being black/white. DFB crest stitched to chest in embroidered cloth. Appropriate Adidas/Schwahn identifiers throughout.
8. A small local newspaper clipping relating to the match versus Mexico, featuring a photo of the squad lined up. Signed by 6 of the squad members.
9. An original paper ticket from the match in Hannover between Mexico & Germany.
Perhaps the finest Beckenbauer example on offer to date. A fine and highly desirable collection relating directly to Germany’s 1971 friendly versus Mexico in Hannover. This lot originated from the estate of a former DFB official, having originally been gifted by Beckenbauer himself after the match. This lot will come presented in a lovely black gift box for the winning bidder.