- Active Filters
- Selection Required: Select product options above before making new offer.
- Error: There was an error sending your offer, please try again. If this problem persists, please contact us.
1980 Willie Stargell Game-Worn Pittsburgh Pirates Jersey- 100% Authentic Grade: 12/20Go Back
Winning Bid: $1,950.00
Winning Bid: $1,950.00
Auction ends: January 7, 2017 10:20 PM
Total price with Buyers Premium: $2,340.00
Bids count: 1
Your max bid is $0.00
Add Max Bid
Willie Stargell played his entire Major League career with the Pittsburgh Pirates (1962-82). He played for 21 years and had 2232 hits, 423 doubles, 475 home runs and 1540 RBIs with a .282 batting average. Stargell helped his team to six NL East division titles, two NL pennants and two World Series (1971 & 1979).
Presented is a game-worn home pullover jersey of Stargell from the 1980 season.
- On the tail of the black jersey is the “DECENTE” manufacturers tag with wash instructions on it. Descente brand was used for the black knit and mesh jersey between 1977-83.
- An additional patch tag below it with “8 – 44 – 80” embroidered on it notates his jersey #8, [size] 44 and [year] 80. Discussing jersey tagging with equipment managers during this era, jersey size tagging was often incorrect. Stargell actually was known to wear a “46-48”. Measuring the jersey across the chest reveals that this jersey is “23 inches” which indeed makes this a size “46”. Mike Easler, former teammate of Willie Stargell confirms that the he was a size larger than himself in 1980 as Stargell was svelt. He was a “48” later in his career.
- Across the front of the jersey is “Pirates” in yellow tackle twill.
- Below that and on the back is Stargell’s number “8”.
- Across the back is “STARGELL” (in yellow) on a name plate.
- Yellow and black ribbed accents highlight the collar and sleeve ends (with white as well).
Pirates starting using Knits instead of Flannels in the middle of the season when they left Forbes field to Three Rivers. They were the first to make the change.
The jersey shows tremendous use with heavy ruckling on the identifiers and soft malleable tagging.
Mike Easler-former Stargell team-mate and close friend, has reviewed this jersey. “Hitman” Mike Easler was very close to Willie. Stargell mentored the young Easler in the bigs. Upon reviewing Stargell’s jersey, Mike Easler states the following:
I am Mike Easler, the Hitman. I was with the Pirates in 1979-83. I played with my mentor Willie Stargell. I verify that we wore this style black mesh jersey made by Descente in 1980. We liked wearing the style as they were ewasier to move in but would wear this jersey style for the warmer, hotter days of the season. I also verify the Willie Stargell wore a “46”. I remember this as I was very close with Willie. I was a size “44” and he was always a size bigger than myself and in 1980 he was in great shape. In the later years, he wore a size ’48”.
Authentication: 100% Authentic Team.
1 = Signs of use (signs of being laundered if jersey)
2 = 2 or more modifications or attributes designed for/by player
1 = Style Match
1 = Provenance Letter
4 = Positive direct match on all tags
3. Heavy use with no repaires