Skip to content
    Active Filters

House of David Baseball Club Poster

Go Back
Rated 5 out of 5 based on 1 customer rating

$220.00

House of David Baseball Club Poster

Out of stock

SKU: 1761 Categories: , ,

Description

The Israelite House of David, a religious community, was established in Benton Harbor, Michigan, in 1903 by Benjamin Purnell, along with his wife Mary. The purpose of this colony was to gather the 12 lost tribes of Israel for the “Ingathering”, to await the Millennium. Benjamin Purnell, a sports enthusiast, encouraged the playing of sports. The House of David started playing baseball around 1913 as a weekend endeavor, by 1915 the team was playing a more grueling schedule. By 1920, the team was “barnstorming” around the country, earning money for the colony, and using the team as a way to preach to potential members. While the team was on the road, the colony established a home team, a girl’s team, and a junior boys team. The players were led by its manager, Francis Thorpe and the team was originally comprised of members of the colony. The team was always an attraction by their long hair and beards, a doctrine of the religion, and would draw substantial crowds wherever they played. By the early 20’s, in need of participate with better playing abilities and by the lack of colony member participation, were in the business of hiring players not of the faith. These “Players for Hire” were required to grow a beard, and some played for the team for many years. COA Global

1903,1913,1915,Baseball,Poster,Religious

Auction End: 09-Jul-03  Post Views: 2469

Price; $0.00 $150.00

 

MENU

top-header-menu

Scroll To Top