U.S. President James Monroe Signed Land GrantGo Back
U.S. President James Monroe Signed Land Grant
Out of stock
On the 6th of May 1812, the U.S. Congress appropriated and granted land to the “late Army of the United States”, meaning that members of the military would be paid in land, in lieu of script, which was in short supply because of the pending War of 1812. President James Monroe signed this land grant that allowed Private Isaac Tuck of the Fifth Regiment in Bells Company of the Infantry (and who served in the War of 1812), to settle 160 acres of frontier land in the northwest quarter of Arkansas (effective December 15, 1820). The velum-paper medium with the affixed white paper Land Office seal, measures 12″ x 9 1/8″. It is marginally curled at the edges, and is also signed by Josiah Meigs, the Commissioner of the General Land-Office. In the top left corner of the land grant is an idealized wood-cut characterization crediting “J. Seymore, Printer, New York”, with the words, Militi Forti et Fideli. President Monroe’s signature appears on the certificate in two places – at the top of the document (which is most likely secretarial), and above Meigs’ signature, which is in the President’s hand. Monroe served two terms as president (1816 and 1820), and is best remembered for the Monroe Doctrine.
PSA-DNA Auction House Letter
Military,Presidential,Signed James Monroe,Josiah Meigs
Auction End: 22-Nov-05 Post Views: 6131
Price; $0.00 – $0.00